For the safety of our community, visitors to SPECTRUM will be required to wear masks until further notice.
SPECTRUM is built on the hard work and dedication of our volunteers.
Depending on the availability of grants and human capacity, sometimes we are unable to complete projects that would benefit the local 2SLGBTQ+ community. We welcome the opportunity to host various student placements if we have the capacity to support the student properly.
Previous student placement examples
Other examples of potential work may include creating content for our blog or social media channels, grant writing, general administrative work, digitizing materials for our historical project, assisting with fundraising and other special events (e.g., Pride), and working in our library or community closet.
If you have a specific project you need to complete for your placement, we can consider how it might fit within the work we do.
A few things to note about student placements at SPECTRUM:
- We cannot provide a supervisor at all times.
- We do not currently have the ability to pay students in this capacity.
- Given the sensitive nature of our work, we generally do not accept minors or high school placements.
- If the placement would require the student to work directly with the public, represent SPECTRUM to the public, or work with sensitive information, the student would require a clear vulnerable sector police check.
- Students will be required to write a final report at the end of their placement on where their work finished and what work, if any, is still needed to be completed.
- Students will also be required to complete an exit survey at the end of their placement.
If you believe we would be a good fit, we would love to hear from you!
While we appreciate every person that reaches out, we cannot accept all applications for student placements. It is important for all parties to benefit from the experience, and sometimes the availability of resources prevents mutual benefit. For example, we want to be able to best support students, but if we do not have the personnel available on our team to supervise and support someone we would not take them on.